The world has completely transformed in the last decade in terms of promising technological advancement. 3D printing is one of the greatest advancements this world has witnessed. Just through a layering method, your desired 3D object is formed using CAD (computer-aided file).
For little businesses or indeed people, this contrast is noteworthy. The opportunity and imagination empowered by 3D printing imply that nearly anything can be made without the required stockrooms full of costly apparatus.
What is Wood Printing?
Well not exactly but surprisingly a wood-like object is obtained using wood filament i.e., PLA filament which contains wood fiber. Wood filament is made by combining 30% of wood fiber and about 70% PLA filament.
Because of the presence of wood fiber, the printed object seems as if it is carved freshly from the tree trunk!
When it comes to the durability of filament material PLA always wins the race. Wood is weaker and cannot be used for making a filament purely out of it.
But when both PLA and wood fiber are fused together in appropriate proportions, they can bring really cool & durable wooden models right out of your 3D printer.
|Monoprice Select Mini||Durable and Reliable||8.4|
|LulzBot Mini 2||Eco-friendly||8|
|Dremel Digilab 3D20||Affordable||7.5|
|Makerbot Replicator Plus||Valuable||8|
|XYZprinting Da vinci 1.0 A||Plug and Play||8.2|
|Flashforge Creator 3||User Friendly||7|
|Qidi Tech X-One 2||Printing Beast||8.7|
|Sindoh 3DWOX DP200||Reliable||8.2|
|MakerGear M2||Precise and Fast||7.3|
|LulzBot TAZ 5||Premium Choice||8.8|
List of Wood 3D Printers
Monoprice Select Mini
Warmly welcomed member of the Monoprice family, ‘Select Mini’ is one of the highly recommended 3D printers in its price range.
From the packaging with foam to fully assembled and pre-calibrated, this printer is going to impress you in all ways. With a built-in-screen, your desired models can be selected to print. You can either connect it to your system or connect a USB, it can work both ways.
This wood printing machine gives you the following wonderful feature that will make you find your money worth the expense.
- Just after examining the bed leveling, you can start your printing, as this 3D printing machine is fully assembled.
- Other than the machine’s cost, it allows you to use third-party filaments that can keep your material cost down.
- This budget-friendly machine features an all-metal hot end that helps in improved heating.
- This 3D printer is compact enough for any desk with a small build-in volume.
- Supports Cura, Repetier Host, and other software.
- Consists of a heated print bed that minimizes the chances of warping.
- The LCD control lets you work without a computer or laptop.
- The transfer of the digital file is trouble-free as it offers you a Wi-Fi connection
- Difficult parts can be printed using this 3D printer.
- It is easy to set up
- Heated build plate
- All metal hot end
- Works with any Slicer and Standard Filament
- Simple to Operate
- Reliable Results at Low-Speed Prints
- Padding material for the build plate
- Great print quality
- Difficult to work with ABS
- Smaller build volume
- Wireless Features Deactivated
- Low-speed prints
- Inconsistent Hotend Temperature
LulzBot Mini 2
LulzBot Mini 2 has been designed cautiously keeping beginners in mind. LulzBot Mini 2 has features that work pretty much out of the box. It is the go-to option for home users, designers, engineers, makers, architects.
In short, anyone looking for an easy-to-use and best affordable desktop wood 3D printer. Lulzbot has come with a series of printers designed for different types of users and fulfilling different needs in different areas. Lulzbot Mini 2 will fulfill your need to work with wood filament.
- Mini 2 is an open-source printer, providing the facility to work with a wide range of materials.
- Its open filament system is compatible with an expanded range of materials to work with like PLA, Nylon 645, TPU, ABS+, and many more.
- You can work with LulzBot edition software or any other software you are familiar with.
- Its print nozzle is made up of a nickel-plated copper alloy which self-cleans.
- It has a print area of 6 x 6 x 7 inches is more than enough to create the desired object.
- It will calibrate the bed automatically every time.
- Easy to set up
- Gives high performance
- Suitable for home users
- Fine detailing can be obtained
- Open filament system
- Easiest printer to run
- Can use multiple software
- Offers nice clean prints right out of the box
- Bed leveling and nozzle cleaning is not required
- It has a little tool kit, containing every single tool you’ll ever need for running and maintaining the machine.
- The build volume being 160mmx160mm, can be a bit restricting
- Hotend assembly has to be done carefully to avoid filament stuck.
- It uses 2.85 mm filament which can be a little hard to find.
Dremel Digilab 3D20
Practice makes a man perfect and Dremel Digilab is made keeping the learning experience in mind.
Specially created for educational purposes, beginners can try their hands on this wood printer to explore the printing world.
It provides average printing quality and speed which can be neglected as keeping its sole purpose in mind.
It’s a great combo of affordability and a good printing experience that can make you reach your intermediate level. Not just that your small business can set its initial step using this wood printer.
- If you are a beginner or a student, then this machine is designed for you as it is very easy to use.
- It supports SD cards and USBs which means you don’t have to connect it to a device to work.
- Your learning experience can be secured by its enclosed chambers.
- This machine gives prize benefits to your initial experience of working with a 3D printer.
- You can easily assemble the printer following the guides and tutorials. It doesn’t offer an auto-leveling feature but still can be used easily following the detailed manual instructions.
- It offers you a touch screen display that helps you alter the setting and control prints like a standalone machine.
- Super easy to use.
- Minimizes your learning budget
- Its fully assembled parts make it easy for students and beginners to use it.
- This printer gives you decent print quality which is more than enough for your learning stage.
- The easy leveling process will let beginners focus on other features.
- It only supports Dremel PLA filament
- Do not provide WIFI connectivity which will consume some time to get your desired file in the system.
Makerbot Replicator Plus
Makerbot replicator is the improved member of the Makerbot family offering you some of the unique features among all the 3D printers of its price range.
Its sturdy and black body gives it a nice appearance. The open design of this wood printer will let you make it your desk friend.
- One can choose different settings with the control and user interface that is placed at eye level.
- Externally added storage of filament at the back of the printer.
- The printing with this wood printer is quite effortless but you will need to remove plates after the process.
- The company claims to provide 30% faster speed.
- A smart extruder is offered to work with a 1.75mm diameter of PLA.
- Easy to operate
- Larger built volume
- Intuitive software
- Designed well
- Gives quick phone alerts
- Wi-fi connection
- Good quality prints
- reported filament issues
- Non-heated bed
XYZprinting Da Vinci 1.0 A
For some time now XYZ Davinci has held a prestigious place in the world of 3D printing. Packed safely in Styrofoam, this fully assembled machine is ready to be used out of the box.
If you are a beginner and want to experience smart and professional 3D printing then this 3d wood printer is highly recommended for your initial experience.
- Compatible with Windows and macOS.
- Detailed objects can be created using this machine in resolution as fine as 100 microns
- The printer is complemented with an enclosed printing area that makes printing with ABS safe for the environment, and also maintains a high temperature for successful printing.
- This plug-and-play system comes with several post-production tools, a glue stick, and a filament cartridge.
- Unlike other budget printers, it has a large build-in space.
- Offers USB and Wi-fi connection.
- Settings can be altered using LCD.
- Lets you print larger objects
- Supports printing with PETG, HIPS, ABS, and PLA filaments
- Compatible 3rd-party filaments
- Can be connected via USB and Wi-Fi
- The build area is quite spacious
- Average print quality
Flashforge Creator 3
Produced by one of the well-known manufacturers and filaments in China, Flashforge has awed many users.
This wood printer is a package of affordability and advancement which makes it stand out among other affordable printers.
A huge model can be obtained by printing different parts and then keeping them together is one of the prominent specifications of Flashforge Creator 3.
In the line, Flashforge has come up with Flashforge creator pro but keeping your wood need in my mind we will go through the features of Flashforge creator 3 that lets you work with wood filament.
- The uniqueness of its dual extruder is that the nozzles can move individually on the x-axis from each other
- Two different nozzles can be used to print with two different materials
- A built-in camera will let you monitor the complete printing process from a distance using your phone.
- You can remove the built-in plate or even bend it to avoid any damage to the object while taking it out.
- Can be connected to Wi-Fi, 3D cloud, USD as well as ethernet.
- Consist of 4.5 inches touch screen
- Time is money and its pre-assembled delivery will help you save your precious time.
- This results in decent Print Quality
- Dual Extruder is not a unique feature but a necessary part of a 3D printer.
- A Heated Bed is another appreciable feature of this printer
- Small built-in volume
- Makes noise which makes it a little uncomfortable to work with.
- Enclosed body
Qidi Tech X-One 2
Fortified by an aluminum base, this wood printer is best for intermediate users. Produced by a china-based company Qidi Technology, this FDM printer can do wonders for small businesses.
Its easy-to-use features let you enter the world of 3D printing without confusion.
- Qidi Tech X-One 2 is compatible with third-party slicers.
- comes with a resume and stop functionality.
- The interface is a touchscreen.
- It comes fully assembled.
- A sturdy and strong metal frame.
- Great customer service.
- The exceptional print quality of parts and functional prototypes.
- It has a print bed that is easy to level.
- The instructions manual can be confusing.
- Loading the filaments can be tedious.
- The stock build plate of the printer has adhesion issues.
- The build size is limited.
Sindoh 3DWOX DP200
Widely used for printing huge build volumes of parts and functional prototypes, this FDM-based wood printer offers a resolution of 50 millimeters, transported in a wooden crate.
Being a beginner secure packaging should be your first priority and this wood printer serves you just that for your better experience.
One of the prominent features of this printer is that it has a nice appearance as you won’t see any wire hanging out of the body which makes it presentable to be kept on your home desk
- Everything is held neat and orderly with-in its stylish frame.
- Its enclosed space offers users safety, reduced noise, and stabilized temperature.
- This wood printer cops up well with PLA and ABS.
- It has an auto-loading filament.
- The machine is complimented with LED lighting and an onboard camera that lets you control your printing process through your phone wherever you are.
- Your printing needs can be satisfied by 210 x 200 x 195mm (8”x8”x8”) build area.
- Simple setup with minimal assembling
- Enclosed printing frame
- Heated print beds
- Automated nozzle cleaning
- Colored touchscreen interface
- Limited filament options
- Camera placement is not in the right place
- Average printing quality
The product is known for its high reliability, constructed on a sturdy frame. With its interchangeable parts and nozzles, you can customize the setup.
- Offers a large build in space that makes your work easier to print.
- Its V4 hotend is easy to swap or upgrade.
- This wood printer provides high-level precision with a small footprint.
- The machine is complimented with a rigid fabricated steel frame and CNC machined cast aluminum construction which makes it your friend for a longer term.
- Its four-point print bed avoids the need for Z compensation.
- Your printing goals are not restricted as this printer provides a great choice of open-source software
- Its borosilicate glass bed maintains a temperature up to 110 Celsius.
- Supports ABS and PLA.
- High precision and quality printouts.
- Easy to setup.
- Can do professional tasks.
- Doesn’t offer auto bed leveling.
LulzBot TAZ 5
LulzBot TAZ 5 Desktop is one of the greatest printers of its generation as it offers open-source which means third-party parts can be added functionally at the time of purchase.
- The main purpose of this 3D printer is to provide professional printing on the desk
- This durable wood 3D printer possesses a printing casing of 11.7 x 10.8 x 9.8 inches.
- It provides a user capacity of 1238 cubic inches of functional space.
- A resolution of 52 microns to 352 microns can be obtained
- Offers speed of 210 mm/sec in a few seconds.
- Polyetherimide (or PEI) print area
- Can work with an extensive series of 3 mm size filaments.
- Bounded printing compartment
- No wi-Fi connection
Before getting any technical gadget It is always good to inquire which feature it must possess for getting the best results.
To make sure your hard-earned money doesn’t go in vain, below we’ve discussed a few of the most important features to make your 3D printing journey full of fun!
Carefully check upon them to avoid turning the exciting 3D expedition into a headache.
- Hardened Steel Nozzle: Most printers use brass nozzles, but when you’re using wood filament brass nozzles are not the option worth considering. As the wood filament is infield with wood fiber which will widen up the brass nozzle and after completing hardly one model it will end up ruining the brass nozzle. Ruby nozzle can be considered too as it is stronger, but the hardened steel nozzle is just perfect for the job!
- Heat Balancing Extruder: while working with wood filament the temperature of the extruder should be set between 190 to 220°C. Especially with wood PLAs, it is better to print at lower temperatures. When wooden filament gets hot it takes no time to harden within the extrusion path. If temperatures aren’t balanced properly the wood filament may bake up in the hotend and it won’t be able to extrude causing printing failures. The temperature you choose depends upon your color preference and extruder.
- Enclosed Surface: 3D printing with wood doesn’t require an enclosed printer to work as there isn’t any certain temperature to be maintained. Either the printer’s surface is closed or open it won’t really matter.
- Size Of Nozzle: With wood filament, it’s better to use nozzles of larger size, this saves you from the risk of hardening the wood filament. Using a large-sized nozzle will give you a less detailing model, but at the same time, you’ll be able to print much faster and with better flow.
- Cooling Fan: Wood printing is prone to stringing to reduce this, the cooling fan offers a helping hand. It efficiently manages the balancing act of cooling the material without overdoing it.
- Heated Ded: It is also optional and not a precondition to start wooden 3D printing. But it plays a pretty good role in improving the bonding strength of the initial layer. It keeps the bottom of the print hot offering wrap-free formation of the printed model.
It is best to add a wood 3D printer to your cart keeping above listed features in mind for getting the 3D printer to ensure the best print quality.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
What is a wood filament?
Wood filament is made by combining 30% of wood fiber and about 70% PLA filament. Because of the presence of wood fiber, the printed object seems as if it is carved freshly from the tree trunk!
How to get good adhesion when working with wood filament?
For better adhesion, you can print the first layer of your model on the heated bed with a temperature slightly higher than the glass point (TG) of the filament.
After that, you can lower the bed’s temperature to the value that should be below TG. This helps in the solidification of the print.
This is purely a life-saving hack for getting good adhesion when working with wood filament.
Is working with wood filaments reliable?
The reliability of 3D printed wooden models is unquestionable. But when it comes to the feasibility of wooden filament it often breaks. The presence of wood fiber makes it delicate.
While earlier wood filaments used sawdust instead of wood fiber and they were more flexible. Preferring flexibility over-cautious use will be a totally bad trade-off.
Wood filaments containing wood fiber mixed with PLA can give you aesthetic products if used properly.
Which is stronger: Wood or PLA?
When it comes to the durability of filament material PLA always wins the race. Wood is weaker and can not be used for making a filament purely out of it.
But when both PLA and wood fiber are fused together in appropriate proportions they can bring really cool & durable wooden models right out of your 3D printer.
There is a wide variety of 3D printers and each of them is unique in its own way. Each of them owns certain pros and cons and has different buyer points.
While purchasing a 3D printer you should be well aware of your purchasing intent. You should go for the products with relevant features for a better experience in this creative world of 3D.
From the printers which are reviewed above, Lulzbot Mini 2 is an ideal printer. It allows you to work with every filament you can think of and is easily transportable.
The small business that you might be planning for some time can come into existence with Qidi tech-XOne2
YZ da Vinci 1.0 A is an all-in-all best 3D printer with an extremely easy-to-use interface, offers a pretty good build space allowing you to create much bigger products.
It proficiently supports ABS quite well in which most printers available in the market lack.
Every printer is best in its own way and serves a particular purpose in the world of 3D. This article provides an ultimate buyer guide highlighting the features, pros, and cons of the best wood 3D printers.
So that you can get the one with the best features without stretching your pocket much.
Own cutting-edge technology which best fits and helps you accelerate on higher success levels!
Enjoy working with wood without actually cutting the tree, and don’t forget to plant more trees!