With advancements in technology, 3D printing has come about as one of the most useful and advanced technologies. 3D printers are now being modified to entertain certain fields. One such field is the dental industry.
3D printers have changed the way this industry works. You can now use these printers to print out dental models that are precise and accurate. 3D-printed dental models can look as close to the real ones as possible.
This guide includes a comprehensive selection of the best 3D Printers for Dental Models that have been tried and tested by our experts.
Applications of 3D Printer in the Dental Industry
Even within the dental industry, the 3D printer has multiple applications as following:
Since 3D printers are able to create transparent objects and parts, they are used to print out night guards or aligners. These transparent aligners are used as an alternative to the braces.
They are created through a simple and easy process that does not take much time. The patient’s teeth are scanned and then the image is used to generate a 3D replica of their teeth. With a 3D printer, there is little to no room for error.
Oral surgeries require precision and accuracy, which can be achieved through the surgical guides printed with a 3D printer. For printing a surgical guide, all you have to do is scan the patients’ mouth and use this scan to create a model. These guides have openings at the spot that require surgeries.
If you ever break your teeth, crowns can be used to fix them. The crown replaces the broken part of your teeth. A 3D printer allows you to achieve this in a very short amount of time.
The procedure starts with a scan of the broken tooth. The 3D printer software is used to create the model of the crown.
Dental models can be created with a 3D printer to ensure a perfect fit. The teeth are scanned and then used to help with the printing of the models using designated software. Using various power tools, dentists can also check the accuracy of these models.
|Anycubic Photon Zero||Best Budget||9.4|
|Formlabs Form 3||Strong and Practical||9.5|
|3D Systems NextDent 5100||Best Usage||9.1|
|EnvisionTEC 3Dent||Most Functional||8.9|
|ZMorph VX||Most Reliable||8.5|
|Objet Eden 260VS||Editor’s Choice||9.8|
|SprintRay Moonray S||High-quality||9.7|
|VIDA HD CROWN & BRIDGE||Premium Pick||9.6|
|Planmeca Creo C5||Runner-up||9.7|
|Ray RayDent Studio||Strong and Sturdy||8.7|
Best 3D Printers for Dental Application
Anycubic Photon Zero
Anycubic is a Shenzhen-based manufacturer that is known for its 3D printers for dental models. The printer stands at the top as one of the best 3D printers for dental models.
The Photon Zero offers many high-quality features at a price that can meet your budget easily.
With a solid and sturdy structure, this 3D printer offers a build volume of 97 x 54 x 150 mm. The Photon Zero 3D printer does not require much supervision as it lets you perform other tasks while it prints.
The printer has a resin vat to prevent spillage. Apart from this, the UV modules in the Photon zero are able to perform various techniques that help produce parallel UV rays that are well spread across the LCD masking screen.
The printer also has slicing software that can be used to make precise and ready-to-fit dental models.
Meeting your budget requirements, this 3D printer is ideal for the dental industry.
- Comes fully assembled and does not require much energy for the setup
- Fully functional touch screen user interface
- Comes with an easy to reach USB
- Linear Z-axis for precision
- Compact and lightweight
- Longer layer cure time
- Low-resolution prints
Formlabs Form 3
Known for its stellar performance in the dental field, the Formlabs Form 3 is considered one of the best 3D printers for dental models.
The printer utilizes SLA 3D printing technology to ensure effective and efficient results for printing.
Since dental procedures require tools that need to be error-free, Form 3 ensures that all of its prints are accurate and precise.
The printer also has a build volume of 145 x 145 x 185 mm, which is sufficient to meet the need of the dental industry. Offering layer thickness between 25 to 300 microns, the printer offers high-resolution printing.
- Hassle-free operation due to its 5.5” touchscreen user interface that allows you to customize your settings and monitor printing progress
- Has sensors that detect any changes in the printing environment
- Compatible with a wide range of printing material
- Allows for connection to other devices using Wi-Fi
- Enclosed 3D printer for safety purposes
- Offers high-quality printing
- Can support multiple printers at a time
- Pricey option
3D Systems NextDent 5100
The NextDent 5100 can be considered as a truly dedicated 3D printer for dental models. This printer has been specifically designed for the dental industry.
With a build volume of 70 x 68 x135 cm, the printer is able to output large amounts of dental models.
The printer comes with a sizable capacity ram extruder, which allows it to maintain continuous flow as well as precise printing.
Unlike other 3D printers for dental models, the NextDent 5100 is compatible with most software platforms. The strong processor means you can use this printer for a range of tasks.
- Has a touchscreen user interface that allows you to import your graphics, change your settings, customize your models, and much more
- Can be maintained easily
- Does not have any backlash while printing
- Layer by layer printing for detailed modeling
- Functions with Figure 4 technology
- Ideal for professional use
- Quick layering time that results in quick printing
- Simple and easy to use
- Can be connected to other devices using the internet
- Open design that lets you monitor the printing process
- The printer takes time to reach its desired temperature
3Dent Dental Model Printers are one of the leading 3D printers for dental models. The printer makes use of the 3SP technology that allows it to scan, spin, and selectively photo-cure dental models.
This technology has been specifically designed for dental modeling. The printer is extremely versatile in its function as it is able to print all kinds of dental models. For precision, the printer uses a 1mm nozzle.
The printer also has a generous build volume of 266 x 184 x 76 mm and is able to retain a printing speed that can reach up to 10 mm/hour. The printer offers the best speed among all 3D printers for dental models.
With Wi-Fi compatibility, the 3Dent Dental Model Printer is operable even from long distances.
The printer gives its users the ability to remotely control the printer with its simper and easy-to-use user interface.
The settings can be customized easily to your own liking as they are adjustable.
- If a power lapse occurs, this 3D printer has the ability to resume printing.
- The printer is compatible with Envision TEC’s E-Denstone material
- The build platform ensures high-quality 3D printing for a variety of materials
- User-friendly thanks to a super intuitive LCD interface
- Allows for mass production with repeatable designs
- Solid and sturdy build
- Open design for easy monitoring
- Not ideal for use at home
The Z Morph VX printer is a strong contender for the best 3D printers for dental models. The printer can produce dental models that can fit the patients’ mouths with precision and accuracy.
The printer offers a large build volume, which is ideal for large-scale models.
With a solid and sturdy outer body, the Z Morph VX is just as functional from the inside. This dynamic and versatile printer specializes in printer dental models using its multiple features including changeable tool heads, paste extruder that is also dual, and so much more.
The dual extruder allows the 3D printer to perform multi-tone printing using multiple materials at the same time. With this printer, you can experiment with designs and models. It is one of the best 3D printers for dental models.
- Has a modular heating element that is used to heat up a clog for easy cleaning of the printer
- Durable structure
- Calibrates the bed automatically
- Efficient design that is solid and sturdy
- Allows multiple device connection over the internet
- Layer by layer printing to ensure that dental models are accurate and precise
- Advanced technology that results in efficient printing
- Offers high printing speed
- Known for its error-free printing
- Compatible with a wide range of printing material
- The end product can be removed easily
- The printer is expensive
Objet Eden 260VS
When it comes to additive manufacturing, Objet Eden 260VS has made quite a name for itself. The printer gives you the freedom to print dental models with ultra-fine layer thickness, smooth surfaces, and thin walls.
The printer can be used with multiple printing materials that are both, rigid and flexible.
The Eden 260VS allows its users with easy post-processing as it has a gel-like support material that is designed to uphold overhangs. Once you are done printing, the nontoxic support material is removed with a water jet.
The printer also enables you to produce high-quality, realistic dental models at high speed along with low cost. This printer can print out real working prototypes that you can fix with a trial and error process.
The Objet Eden260VS is extremely productive. It has a build volume of 255 x 252 x 200 mm. The machine also results in models with ultra-fine details. It has a resolution of 600 dpi along its X and Y-axis and 1600 dpi along the Z-axis.
There are two build speed options offered by this printer i.e. High speed, which gives a resolution of 30 microns, and High quality, which gives a resolution of 16 microns.
- Offers two build speed options. High speed gives a resolution of 30 microns
- The printer comes completely assembled
- High printing quality with the ability to produce intricate designs at the ends and edges and curves
- High-resolution printing
- Makes use of a wide range of functional materials for prototyping and production
With multiple features, this 3D printer is a top pick for dental models.
- Delivers consistent and reliable production
- High functioning software
- Allows functional testing before printing the final product
- The machine is a bit on the pricier side
SprintRay MoonRay S
Known widely in the field of dentistry, the Moon Ray S is one of the best 3D printers for dental models. The printer is manufactured by a company called Sprint Ray.
Using DLP technology, the printer is able to print dental models that are ready to fit in the patient’s mouth. The printer has a decent build volume around 5 x 3.2 x 8 inches as well as a layer thickness that is between 10 to 200 microns.
The printer comes with in-system monitoring that ensures that the inner conditions of the printer remain uniform.
The printer also has sensors that are capable of detecting problems or when the printer has run out of printing material.
With advanced features, the printer can be seen in many dental offices where the printer is used for its reliable printing.
- Offers high-speed printing of your dental models
- A modular machine that allows you to adjust its settings easily
- Compatible with multiple materials to allow for a variety of printing
- Can be connected to other devices other Wi-Fi
- Compact and easy to handle
- Offers accurate and precise dental models
- Beginner-friendly due to its easy operation
- Functions can be customized easily
- Comes fully assembled
- Lightweight machine
- Smaller build plate
VIDA HD CROWN & BRIDGE
Best known for its 3D printing systems, the VIDA HD CROWN & BRIDGE is one of the best 3D Dental printers.
Making use of advanced technology, the printer is capable of printing different materials that are often used in the medical industry. The printer offers a build volume of 90 x 50 x 100 mm.
- The printer has a wide material flexibility
- Balances printing speed and printing quality pretty well
- Has patented quality features that deliver industry-leading density and repeatability
- Easy to operate and maintain
- Offers a high resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels with custom UV optics
- Compatible with the Perfactory software
- Can be connected to other devices using Ethernet, USB connection, or Wi-Fi
- High print resolution
- Accurate designs
- Easy to set up and handle
- User-friendly interface
- Accompanying products can be expensive
Planmeca Creo C5
Planmeca Creo C5 is an ideal option for the reliable printing of dental models. Considered one of the best printers for dental models, this printer offers a build volume of 130 x 81.5 x 130 mm.
The printer has a minimum layer thickness between 5 to 200 micrometers. Apart from this, the printer offers layer resolution up to 600 dpi.
The printer is capable of printing dental tools such as surgical guides, dental models, dental crowns, and much more.
The machine also allows for continuous printing of such models. The printer has an open architecture system that allows you to observe and monitor the processing.
Planmeca Creo C5 makes use of DLP Technology that allows it to print in high quality. The printer is capable of printing up to 6 dental models or 25 surgical guides in a single print run.
With its advanced features and high speed, this printer is surely a must-have.
- The printer lets you work with a wide range of material
- Offers a connection to other devices over the internet
- Has printer resume function that is able to start off from where you left off
- Offers error-free, high-speed printing
- Accurate and precise printing
- Easy to operate
- Build volume that is sufficient for dental models
- Offers high-quality prints
- The user manual is not as useful as it should have been
Ray RayDent Studio
The RayDent Studio is a 3D printer that is suitable for prototyping and printing dental models.
The printer comes with a build volume of 100 mm x 60 mm x 70 mm that is sufficient to accommodate dental model production.
The printer has been designed for the fast and accurate production of dental products.
The RayDent Studio 3D printer makes use of liquid crystal planar solidification technology. With the help of this technology, the printer is able to uniformly print from disposable resin vats.
This ensures that the waste is minimized and the footprint remains low. The printer can produce dental models in as little time as 25 minutes.
- This printer is equipped with the latest technology, such as a 5″ touchscreen control panel and Wi-Fi. These features make for an easier operation.
- The 3D printer has a closed enclosure, which keeps the device dustproof.
- It is easy to assemble and it takes less than thirty minutes to put together the printer.
- Network compatibility through Wi-Fi, USB, and Ethernet cable
- Accuracy lies between 40 µm to 50 µm
The 3D printer has some latest technological advancements, which ensures an excellent user experience.
- Can be assembled easily
- Compact footprint
- Affordable option
- Doesn’t have clear operation instructions
Traditional methods of dental modeling can be tedious and time-consuming. 3D printing dental models come about as a useful alternative, which allows you to print models efficiently.
This can be achieved using 3D printers for dental models. However, before you buy such a printer, you should look out for some key features.
Here are some of the key features that you should consider before buying:
- Speed: When it comes to dental printing, you need to have a high-speed printer that is capable of printing high-quality dental models. High-speed printing comes in very handy during emergencies when you would need to print a dental model on spot. A good high-speed printer also ensures that the quality of the model is maintained while printing and there is no room for error.
- Size of the Printer: The size of the printer depends on where you want to place it. If your dental office is small, then get a compact and lightweight printer that is easy to handle. The downside to such printers is that they can only print small-sized objects. On the other hand, a large-sized printer can help print large-scale objects but such printers occupy a large space.
- Printing Quality: For a high-quality dental model, your printing quality needs to be exceptional. Since the dental model has to be fitted in your patients’ mouth, it needs to be accurate and precise which is why this is one of the critical features that you need to look for while selecting a 3D printer for dental models.
- User Interface: In the case of dental modeling, you need your models to come out exactly how you want them to be. In such a case, a friendly user interface can be a blessing. The user interface allows you to adjust the printer settings and customize your model with ease. A printer with a good user interface usually has a touchscreen that is sensitive and easy to use.
- Enclosed and Open: Structurally, 3D printers are available in two different categories. Either they are enclosed or they come in an open structure. An open model printer has no covering around its build plate. This lets you observe the printing process and monitor it firsthand. However, the downside of such printers is that they allow the harmful fumes from the printer to release into the room. An open model printer is also more prone to damage from dust and the surrounding environment. On the other hand, an enclosed printer is covered and prevents contaminations from entering the printing area. The printer also prevents the release of harmful gases into the room. However, enclosed printers are pricier than open-model ones.
- Budget for Dental Printer: Depending on the features, a printer costs accordingly. If you are running a small-scale dental clinic, then get a small 3D printer that is affordable. However, if you are running a professional clinic, then it is recommended to invest in an expensive printer that can have useful features. Such printers usually last long and ensure that they make your money worth it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)
What Are The Benefits Of 3D Printing Dental Models?
Dental 3D printing has many benefits. Firstly, it is faster than any traditional method of dental modeling.
3D printers allow you to print models with detail and precision so that they can accurately fit into your patients’ mouths.
3D printing is also cost-effective as it uses single material for printing.
Is There A Limitation To What Models You Can Print With A 3D Printer?
3D printers give you the liberty to print any kind of model that you want. However, the shape and size of the model can be restricted by the type of printer that you are using.
Some printers also come with built-in model designs that can be printed as it is or you can customize your designs accordingly.
Can My Printer Be Used For Other Purposes?
Yes, you can use your printer to print anything that you want. Although these printers have been specifically designed for dental purposes, you can still utilize their features to produce other models. They may, however, be not as accurate.
3D printing dental models is an easy and cost-effective method. Out of all printers reviewed above, Anycubic Photon Zero is the most cost-effective 3D printer for modeling.
The Objet Eden 260VSprinters is a jack-of-all-trades as it has multi-function capabilities that allow for effective and efficient printing.
All these 3D printers for dental models have their unique selling point and this article provides the ultimate buyer’s guide for those looking for the best 3D printers for their dental offices.