When 3D printers first came, they were big machines that were quite slow in terms of speed. However, as technology progressed, with each modification 3D printers started becoming faster.
This technological advancement has brought about a positive change in the printing industry. With the introduction of fast 3D printers, production processes have been optimized.
Products can now be printed in less time while ensuring that their quality remains intact.
This article is going to take a look at some of the fastest 3D printers that you can find. These printers have been tested for their speed as well as their numerous features. We are presenting the best of the best.
Factors that Affect 3D Printer Speed
There are several factors that affect a 3D printer’s speed:
- Resolution: The resolution of a model depends on the layers it has. A model with more layers that are thin will take longer to print. For example, a model with 50-micron layers takes twice the time, without any change in speed, and has two times the layers, as compared to one at 100-micron layers.
- 3D Printing Technology: The technology incorporated in the printer determines the speed. For instance, FDM 3D printers are slower when compared with Resin 3D printers. In fact, even low-priced LCD 3D Printers function faster than FDM printers. Fast 3D printers used technologies such as Multi Jet Fusion, SLA, and DLP.
- Material: The material that is being used for printing also affects the printing speed. Some materials are easier to print as they put less demand on the printer. While other materials can be difficult to print and result in slow printing.
- The complexity of the Model: Simpler models are faster to print as compared to intricate designs. For example, a block will be printed faster as compared to a detailed jewelry piece. Larger layers will take more time to print.
- Size of Print: This one is fairly obvious. A large-sized model takes longer to print as compared to one that is small in size. For example, a cube will take less time to print as compared to a large-sized vase.
|FLSUN QQ-S Pro||Most Reliable||9.3|
|Anycubic Photon S||Strong and Sturdy||9.8|
|DeltaWASP 20×40 Turbo 2||Editor’s Choice||9.9|
|Uniz Slash Plus||Best Desktop Printer||9.2|
|DWS XPro S||Industrial Printer||9.6|
|HP Jet Fusion 4200||Runner-up||9.8|
|Massivit 1800||Strong and Practical||9.5|
|Photocentric LC Precision 1.5||Strong and Durable||9.7|
|Cincinnati Incorporated BAAM||Best Usage||9.1|
|Zortrax Inkspire||Most Functional||9.5|
List of Fastest 3D Printers
FLSUN QQ-S Pro
FLSUN QQ-S Pro is one of the fastest 3D printers that comes pre-assembled. The printer has an ultra-fast printing speed that is superior to other 3D printers in the market. The printer allows for effortless printing with easy leveling.
- This printer comes with software that is compatible with various devices including Windows and Mac.
- The printer has a stable structure that allows for high-speed printing
- The printer arrives in a completely assembled form, so you can start printing right away.
- Its durability is one of its key features which makes it last long
- The software is extremely easy to use.
- Allows you to use various types of materials for printing
- The finished project can be easily removed once it is done
- Has a durable and solid frame structure
- Can be printed from a computer using Wi-Fi
- Might take time to get used to it
Anycubic Photon S
With its winning formula, Anycubic takes its Photon S model to the next level. With various mechanical and electronic upgrades, Photon S can be considered one of the fastest 3D printers.
The Photon S has a build volume that goes around 4.5 inches x 2.5 inches x 6.4 inches. The Photon S comes with a 2k resolution-masking screen that results in better exposure.
Compared to its previous model, Photon S is able to print at a faster speed. The printer comes with a user-friendly operation with a new and improved touchscreen interface.
The interface makes it easier to control the settings on your machine. The printer also comes with an auto-leveling feature that gets you going in minutes.
The Photon S provides a Z-layer resolution of 0.01mm and an XY-resolution of 0.047 mm, which results in highly detailed prints that are also high in quality.
The printer comes with slicer software that is built-in. The software is easy to use and allows you to download various 3D models for printing. You can also use the software to customize your own designs.
- Equipped with the latest technology, the 3D printer has the highest speed for a printer
- The touchscreen allows for an exceptional user experience
- Can be connected to other devices through USB cable, Ethernet, or Wi-Fi
- The printer has a closed enclosure which prevents the release of harmful fumes and helps keep the device dustproof
- The printer is quick and easy to assemble. It can be assembled in less than 30 minutes if you follow the instructions
- High compatibility as it even allows you to use third-party filaments
- The 3D printer has some latest technological advancements, which ensures an excellent user experience.
- Ideal for beginner and entry-level 3D printing
- The industry-standard speed ranges from 15 to 18 mm per second
- Allows for precise, small models
- Easy assembly and operation
- Does not allow connectivity through the internet
- No error checking sensors
Delta WASP 20×40 Turbo 2
Delta WASP 20×40 Turbo 2 is the best in its league. Known for its efficient printing speed, the Turbo 2 is one of the fastest 3D printers available in the market.
Making use of its revolutionary parts and advanced technology, the printer helps you take on multiple design projects that can be done in very little time.
The Turbo 2 is a desktop printer with a build volume of 200 x 200 x 400 mm. Among desktop printers, the Turbo 2 remains undisputed in terms of its print speed.
The printer can be configured in two different ways. The two set-ups, i.e. the ZEN dual extruder, and the Spitfire Red Extruder, offer a maximum speed of 500 mm/sec and 1000 mm/sec respectively.
While speed is one of its best features, the printer also offers a layer resolution of 50 microns. With a resolution this high, you are able to print models that have detailed and intricate designs.
The printer has also been designed to keep beginners in mind, which is why the printer comes fully assembled. This allows for an easy and hassle-free setup so you can begin printing as soon as you receive the printer.
- Flexible and versatile in its function
- Provides injection model accuracy and high precision
- Printing is done in high resolution
- Has the ability to support third party materials
- Retains function even after a power outage
- Can be connected to other devices over the internet
- User-friendly interface
- Has the ability to deliver consistent and reliable output
- Printing material is easy to load
- Able to print at high temperatures
- Offers a large build volume for large-scale production
- Highly functioning software
- Does not have a noiseless function
- The printer is on a pricier side
Uniz Slash Plus
The Uniz Slash Plus is one of the fastest 3D printers. It is the first 3D printer to be using UDP, which is Uniz’s Uni-Directional Peel technology.
The technology does not only allows for high-speed printing but also results in exceptional prints. The printer is faster than its successor Slash.
This 3D printer is unique in the sense that it allows you to create layer-less that are also very high in resolution. The printer allows minimum resolution until 10-micron layer thickness.
The printer can offer printing speed up to 1,000 cm3 per hour. Needless to say, this 3D printer is super fast.
Uniz Slash Plus has been designed to meet the needs of designers and professionals. This is why the printer allows them the best possible outlet to express creativity.
The build volume of this printer is 192 × 122 × 200 mm, allowing you room to be creative and not be limited when it comes to space. The printer has easy maintenance and operation as it can be cleaned with ease.
- The printer can be operated remotely as it can be connected to various devices over the internet
- Has the ability to calibrate automatically
- Has a granite build plate that is large in size
- The build plate remains stable during the printing process
- The printer film can last for 1000 printing hours
- Has an automatic pump that refills resins
Uniz Slash Plus is a fast 3D printer with a high rating. The printer is very popular in the manufacturing industry where its ability to print high-quality models at high speed makes it one of a kind.
- Has a resin mat that can be changed easily
- Allows use of third party material
- Easy to operate due to its user-friendly interface
- Accurate and precise printing
- It is on the pricier side
DWS XPro S
DWS XPro S is one of the fastest 3D printers that is known for its exceptional speed in the industry. The printer offers a build volume of 300 x 300 x 300 mm, that is capable of printing parts and functional prototypes.
The XPro S is capable of vertical production that offers greater control to its users.
The printer makes use of Nauta DWS parametric software that is used for scaling and printing models. This software helps predict the amount of resin that will be utilized for the model beforehand.
- Compatible with a wide range of resins
- Allows for casting, molding, and functional prototyping
- Uses SLA technology that uses a laser beam to solidify resins into models
- Fully automated, all in one printer
If you are looking for a printer that works well for the manufacturing industry, then the DWS X Pro Sis an ideal choice.
- Offers high printing resolution
- Can printer intricate and detailed designs
- Easy to set up and operate
- Easy maintenance
- A user-friendly interface
- Requires additional products that can be expensive
HP Jet Fusion 4200
When it comes to printers, HP is a brand that needs no introduction. Starting with 2D printers, HP has made quite a name for itself in the printing world.
Over the recent years, the company has diversified its products with its 4200 3D printers, among the fastest printers today.
The 4200 multi-jet fusion 3D printer is industrial-grade with the features to match. Apart from its speed that can go up to 4500 cm³ per hour, the layer thickness you get with this printer ranges from 0.07 to 0.08 mm.
Even with high speed, the printer does not compromise the quality of the prints and offers accurate and precise results. The build volume is an impressive 380 x 284 x 380 mm.
The multi-jet fusion technology materials in their powdered form, which allow for fast printing and high-quality prints that have smoother surfaces.
The printer has a feature that allows for multiple prints at once. This fast 3D printer is ideal for functional prototypes.
- Uses a fast technique to cure resin that results in high-speed printing
- LCD touchscreen display lets you have a safe and convenient user experience
- Has a closed frame that allows for safe printing
- Comes fully assembled
- Excellent print quality
- User friendly with a responsive user interface
- The bed is easy to level
- Large print volume and formatting with its massive build volume
- Requires coating after printing is done which adds to additional cost
- Works only with PA12
Manufactured by an Israeli company, the Massivit 1800 is, as the name suggests, a massive 3D printer with a build volume of 1.5 x 1.17 x 1.8 m.
With such an impressive build volume, the printer is capable of printing large-sized objects.
The printer also offers superior printing speed, which can reach a maximum of 1000 mm/second. With fast speed, large objects are printed in very little time.
Owing to its professional prowess, the 3D printer houses Gel Dispensing Printing (GDP) technology. This technology allows the printer’s extruder to work with a gel material.
The material is then exposed to a UV source, which helps solidify the gel. The printer has a sleek outer body, which is also solid and sturdy.
- Dual extruder that allows the printer to use two different materials at the same time
- Features cartridge sensors that detect when a new form of resin is introduced
- Offers real-time monitoring of the printing procedure
- Enclosed body for safety and protection
- Compatible with a wide range of printing material
- Supports multiple uses and printers due to its high connectivity
- Offers quality printing at high speed
- Can be connected using Wi-Fi
- Is on the pricier side
- Occupies large space
Photocentric LC Precision 1.5
The Photocentric LC Precision 1.5 is has made a name for itself in the industry, owing to its high speed. It is one of the fastest 3D printers available in the market.
The printer comes with a build volume of 121 x 168 x 160 mm. The 3D printer is able to function as a standalone unit with increased precision and accuracy.
The printer has many advanced features, including a disposable vat system, a user-friendly touch screen, and much more.
The touchscreen enables the user to design and customize different models accordingly.
The printer offers a layer thickness of 25 microns along with an XY accuracy of 47 microns. This printer is also unique in the sense that it offers a dedicated part-washing unit that works with a liquid cleanser.
The printer is also compatible with a wide range of resins produced by the company. This allows you to print out models in variety.
- The printer has a resume print function, which enables you to begin printing from where you left off, in case of a power failure
- The 3D printer utilizes Photocentric own software that helps you, design models, with detail
- Fast printing with limited errors
- Comes fully assembled
- Sufficient build volume
- Prints models that are precise and accurate
- The print bed needs a lot of improvement
Cincinnati Incorporated BAAM
BAAM, also known as the Big Area Additive Manufacturing printer, is known to be one of the fastest 3D printers currently.
Making use of the most advanced technology, the printer has precision-engineered technology that eliminates the need for features such as speed optimization, automatic calibration, and much more.
The printer allows you to design models directly from your computer as it can be connected to various devices using Wi-Fi, USB, or Ethernet connections.
The printer offers a build volume of 6000 x 2300 x 1900 mm, which is ideal for large-scale production in various industries. The printer also has a laser platform technology that comes with a motion system and control.
The technology works well with the 3D printer’s extruder and feeding system to result in high-resolution prints that are accurate and precise.
This machine is truly one of the fastest 3D printers that one should consider.
- The user interface has an easy to use touchscreen that can help perform several functions including graphic importing, model customization, and so much more
- Layer by layer printing that allows for intricate and delicate designs
- The printer is compatible with various materials including ABS, PC, PLA, PPS, PEI, and so on
- Different nozzle sizes allow for a variety of designs
- Cures the layers quickly to reduce printing time
- Simple and easy to use
- Does not require any extra maintenance
- Can be connected to other devices over Wi-Fi for easier control
- Occupies large space
- Very expensive
This polish beauty, debuted in 2018, is created for the low and medium production industries that require fast-speed printing.
Used alike by dental and design professionals, the Zortrax is faster and more precise as compared to its rivals.
The 3D printer measures 210 mm x 210 mm x 435 mm and is made out of a full metal chassis, making it a sturdy workhorse. The printer has a pixel size of 50 by 50 microns, which can result in incredibly detailed objects with layers undetectable to the naked eye. The printer can also be calibrated in just a few minutes.
You can separately set the exposure time for the model and the supports. Using this method, the support structures are hardened and therefore are easier to remove.
The Zortrax Inkspire is the only fast 3D printer on the market to pull this off.
- If a power lapse occurs, this 3D printer has the ability to resume printing.
- The build platform ensures high-quality 3D printing for a variety of materials
- The closed compartment body makes it a safe choice
- Supports a wide range of printing material
- Up to 8 times the speed of an SLA
- Up to 6 times more precise than an SLA
- Network connectivity
- A user-friendly touch interface
- Despite an intuitive touch interface, the menu layout has room for improvement
For high-speed printing in high quality, there are many things you need to look out for while purchasing a fast-speed 3D printer.
Here are some of the key points, which can help you make an informed decision while purchasing a 3D printer that is also fast in speed:
- Axis Adjustability: Your printer will often require you to tighten or loosen the tensions in one of its three main axes using fine-tuning. For less hassle, look for a 3D printer that has easy access for the belt tension adjustment. Otherwise, you can be spending hours trying to make the necessary adjustments.
- User Interface: A user interface allows you to change the settings of your printer as well as help design your model. A good user interface makes it easier to work the printer and navigate through. Having an LCD touch screen is always a plus point.
- Heated Bed: A well-heated bed ensures that the foundational layers for your model are well-formed. Such a bed ensures that your model is built layer by layer and with immense detail. This feature makes sure that an ideal temperature is established that can result in a model that is well built.
- Compatibility: A printer that has high compatibility allows you to work with different types of printing materials. With a wide range of material compatibility, you are able to produce unique designs that also allow you to expand your creativity.
- The Build Volume: While buying a printer, consider the build volume according to your needs. If you are a beginner or a hobbyist, then a small printer would be a viable option for you. However, if you are using the printer industrially for mass production, then look for a printer with a larger build volume. Also, consider the shape of your printer as the building place can be in square, rectangle, or any other shape.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)
What Objects Can You 3D Print?
3D printing is becoming a very popular tool to design and produce different models. The 3D printer can be used in various industries and even in your homes.
You can print items such as kitchen items, appliances, toys, décor items, motor housing, vase, jewelry, water bottles, and so on.
Is There A Limitation To What Shapes You Can 3D Print?
3D printing will allow you to work on any shape that you desire, depending on the scale. Some models of the 3D printers come with built-in model designs that you can use for printing. 3D printers also allow you to customize and design your own models. With a 3D printer, you can work on all sorts of creative models.
Speed is one such factor that makes a huge difference in the way manufacturing is carried out. Hence, it is ideal to look for a printer that has high speed inclusive of high print quality.
Among such printers, we have picked out the best of the best for you. The Delta WASP 20×40 Turbo 2 is a consumer favorite that offers some of the best features that one can get in a printer. BAAM is another such printer that allows for fast printing within one machine.
The 3D printers mentioned in this article are choices worth giving a try for.